Agnostic.com

12 6

Do you feel weary from current terms for world politics?

Does anyone else feel weary, trying to figure out the meaning of current terms for world politics?

My eyes glaze over. And I have a master's degree.

"What's the difference between 'natavism' and 'nationalism'?" I think. "'Authoritarianism' vs. 'totalitarianism'"?

It used to be fun to read Newsweek and Time.

"Racist," "sexist" and "bigot" make sense. Now this:

populism
xenophobic
globalization
nativism
nationalism
authoritarianism
totalitarianism
alt-right
white nationalist
neoliberalism
modernization
collectivism
individualism
elitism
industrialization
isolationism
inequality
free-trade
fair-trade, and more.

We live in a very complicated world. Thus, we are continually exposed to complicated terms.

LiterateHiker 9 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's the mass media trying to sound intelligent. They're failing.

Nationalism might be most easily described as patriotism or pride of country. Part of our national pride was once rooted in our diversity, e plurbus unim. Nativism in not nationalism, it is the preference of the native born over the immigrant. Nativism is often born in racism and xenophobia. Watch an old WWII patriotic movie if you struggle with these concepts. Those "fun" moon landing editions of Newsweek and Time also contained news of the Vietnam War. It was never easy and nearly all of the terms you list are very old.

Keep the masses confused ... or it does something just a little unexpected ... it educates them!
And we all know what happens when the masses become educated ... they want answers!

Of course I could be full of shit in which case ... nothing to read here ... winks!

At this point we cannot be on the side lines. Being there puts you into the block of people who later try to say that you had no idea what was going on. Everyone on this site has a brain and knows how to use it. Do not mean to talk for you but we do know history. Our parents and or grandparents fought and died to fight this very political ideal. It does not work for anyone, look at Dresden after ww2. More people died there than at Hiroshima. The German Mark was worthless. The wheelbarrow story. Germany was decimated, do we want to go this way? We can argue this point but if things keep on their present trajectory, in five years it will be to late to argue your point.

Yes this world is quite complicated and confusing. The more words that can be brought forward to help define that which is either great or bad in this society help to make it more so. Let's start with the Constitution of the US and see where it gets us. Many are called to be experts as there is an effort to rewrite the Constitution into their agenda. At this point we are at a point where we are in jeopardy, the political body in control wants to make the Nation white. This is actually impossible, like Germany wanting to rid itself of the Jews, Hitler had Jewish ancestors. We have to learn that we are being presented with words that actually have no meaning other than to ignite Trump's base. Trump thinks he can be King, if that is so then we have to ask why?What good is this for us? It is not good, history tells us this in many instances. Trump is an idiot. This word means something and he fits the definition quite well. He is following the bullshit the conservatives have exposed for over 80 years. It has never worked, is not sustainable, and will ruin the economy. If his non policies are not stopped and the damage repaired we will be paying for this over the next 20 to 50 years.

Nobody wants to defend Hitler or his policies and crimes, least of all me. However, it is not well established that Hitler had Jewish roots. There are some spurious and convenient "may have" assertions but nothing conclusive.

I try to stay away from politics. Make no mistake I think the current president is a buffoon. I tend to lean towards my sport (Racquetball), my catching (I let the tourists fish) and especially science (physics). Ice core studies and the wonders of the universe simply fascinate me. ?

That's a great list of terms to study. The powers of influence love to sew confusion to keep people off balance. But the underlying motivations are unchanging and relatively simple to understand. Greed for wealth and power drive the dark side while progressive values bring the light.

Lately I’ve figured out that ‘Conservative’ is a polite way of saying anti-immigration or even racist.

Hermit Level 7 June 26, 2018

@LiterateHiker

Okay, so this is a problem with epistemics, and there is a linguistic component also. I will take the time out to effectively share what I have learned so far, and clear some smoke because you have the right to know the truth, or just learn for the better.

These terms are made of visual meanings and have more visual and verbal subdivision in those visual meanings. Feel free to subdivide if necessary.

These terms have a professionally searchable history of coinage, and it makes sense to read the works where these terms were made (for example, the political term "Anarchism" comes from Pierre Joseph Proudhon, and he defines it in his irrelevant pile of sh%t work entitled "What Is Property?" )

So yeah, all language is necessarily defined by its production, and because reproductions that do not have proper citaton are by definition poorly cited, then they are not necessary truths to work with, and thus we rule them out as flawed.

So here are the steps, for each of those terms:

1. What is the history of this term?

2. Where does one find the source material that defines this term?

3. How do these definitions unpack? Does the creator of the term necessarily build on them more, in other work?

4. How do I explain to the people that I am arguing with that they have zero quality citations?

5. Is the source I am reading from an actual professional source, or am I reading from some literary hole in the wall with no credentials? (For example, are you reading the Harvard Business Review, or are you reading Business Insider aka baby economics 101 for mouthy j%rkoffs?)

FYI Newsweek and Time Magazine are not epistemically checkable, if they're not just biased gibberish.

Now, do I feel weary about these terms? Yes, because some people are sourcing them like crap, and I deal with hostile doofuses who use the terms to make verbal jabs at me.

I like how you think. Good words.

@dalefvictor

Thank you, Dale!

Yep.

@TravelinTom Yep yep

The terms are part of an effort to numb people and dumb them down. It isn't complicated. Racism, classism etc.

I cannot agree, Mitch. Study and contemplation of her list of terms is enlightening. The bad news is that knowledge and insight often make matters more complicated.

Well they are all multi syllable words, but I'm not feeling any George Will "SAT" words.

Not the terms, just the politics.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116423
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.