Agnostic.com

30 9

Have you ever had a partner succumb to mental health problems?

I have only had two long term relationships. Each lasted 12 years. I lost the first one to addiction, and the second to mental health issues. I could write a book about enabling. The first just kept spiraling after I was finally able to get free. The other is actually doing better because I made him leave. What experiences have you all had?

Tecolote 7 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After reading many comments of lost due mental illness, I can say that I been very fortunate... though at the first mention during an argument of "you are driving me crazy". I have the tendency to end things. They are able to live normal lives once I leave. I don't want to cause the demise of anyone and that include a lover and partner. I will like to believe if the deal is real I will stick around for support as I did when my GF in Germany had Cancer and went through Chemo therapy.

Sorry, I don't have an ex, is that a problem? I am married for more than 40 years. We both have, like anybody a few character issues, but that is no reason for parting. We learned to live with the fact that we both are individuals. respecting the fact that becoming "one" through marriage, is a fairy tale.

Gert Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

Gert, I don't think character issues -- flaws, frailties, or whatever -- are at ALL related to what @tecolote and others are describing when referring to their experiences with people who have mental health issues. Did you not also discern that?

@BlueWave, you don't have to believe me, but I have been working in psychiatry, worked as a Social Worker and as a lawyer. All more or less related to people with issues. Everybody has mental issues. One more than another, but still. And it is part of someone's personality, because the issue is seldom caused by infection (sometimes it is, sometimes it's blunt trauma, sometimes other illnesses) and is present and often nurtured during growing up. Be sure, I don't count myself or my wife out. It is most of the time the question if the one and the other succeed in successfully working things out together. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In a relation it is most of the time just a fact that both have shown not to be able to work things out. So, I would never point a finger at someone to determine who is to blame. But ……… metal issues sometimes are harder to master than walking through concrete. But parting after 12 years ……… I would be very interested in how such a partnership evolved and what actually caused the break and when it started. But sure enough, it's not of my business.

Tough love can cut both ways. I helped my son battle the alcoholism that kept our home unstable for years, until it became time to show him the door. I still know that it helped someone, not sure who.

Yes over a 3rd of USA people need treatment but none is allowed for the illness of religion. ...dopers bipolars violent women have darkened my life but I keep turning to healthy people LIKE MY PEERS HERE www.agnostic.com

There are people here (your peers here) who also struggle with mental health issues -- did you read this thread at all? And, I'm sure other people besides me don't appreciate your lumping them, and/or people they love who have mental health issues, in with "dopers and violent women."

@BlueWave it's my experience of specific people plus the need for universal single payer health care HR 676 MEDICARE4ALL not a lumping of anyone here www.agnostic.com

@BlueWave I called everyone here healthy WHY PRETEND I'M nasty. ..r u itching 4 a fight. ?

My first wife was/is Bipolar. At first it was not noticeable but gradually got worse. After her father died it went to the next level - a series of affairs. Her last affair was with an alcoholic and she divorced me, kidnapped our daughter and moved halfway across the world. She never would go to therapy because she said all the doctors wanted to do was get in her pants (I thought why not them; at least they might help). Her husband died from Leukemia and she has realized she is incapable of having a meaningful relationship.

My second LTR was alcoholic. A maintenance drinker so it was hard to recognize. She went through De-tox and for 5 years was a wonderful person and we had a great relationship. I went through Al-anon and other tough love sessions and, like you, learned about enabling. Unfortunately she relapsed (and got her JD) and disappeared.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.