Agnostic.com

30 6

Athiest and death

Hey everyone. Just some thoughts on my mind lately. Death has been a hot topic lately and its made me think, I've been fortunate not to be exposed directly in my 22 years but know that soon I have family that will pass. I see my religious family dealing fine with "its gods will" "they'll be in a better place" and all that but I don't have that comfort. I avoid the subject at all costs. And another thing, in an all Christian family, if/when I die, I know theyll want to do a Christian burial despite my open atheism . so, questions being

1. how do y'all deal with death of others?

2. How do you ensure a nonreligious burial for the nonreligious as us when all are opposed?

Texmomma95 3 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just cry and then move on. As for the ensuring of a nonreligious burial, I would write a will. Cause as far as I know, the family has to follow that by law. I would say cremate me and throw me to the wind, say nothing and just weep or dance on my grave, whatever you wish to do. But be happy, because now I don't gotta deal with bullshit anymore. Haha

Just substitute "thoughts" for "prayers". In traumatic situations, the weak revert to religious belief. If it helps them to deal with it, so be it. It doesn't do any harm to me.

I was in a similar position two years ago, 22 as well, my Grandpa on my dad's side passed after a long battle with Parkinson's and a month afterward my Grandma on my dad's side passed after a sudden viral infection. With my Grandpa his death was easier, we had known for a long time that he was going to die soon, because of that we were able to prepare ourselves emotionally and get everything set in order. I was unable to attend his funeral because of school but I was alright with that because I had already said my goodbyes. My Grandma's death was a lot tougher because we were unprepared, luckily I was able to attend her funeral and say my goodbyes. While, as an atheist, I don't believe anything was there beside her body the act of saying goodbye gave me closure. And to me, that is what funerals are about, the living gaining closure. If that means somebody has to believe that the essence of the deceased is in a better place or if it is God's will, then so be it. I dealt with my grief through laughter and jokes (unappreciated by some of my family), my family is filled with believers so I didn't "correct" them by saying 'no, there is no heaven, you won't see her anymore, she isn't watching over you'. There is no reason to say that.

1. I guess it’s all in how you see death. I don’t want to die young obviously but I think it’s better than living an eternity. Immortality seems more like a curse. Things are beautiful because they end. That’s how I see life at least. So it helps me deal with someone passing.

2. I’m donating my body to science lol. My death should help others if it can.

The key phrase is "worm food!" Dealing with the death of a loved one or good friend is trying. But the time to deal with their death is when they are living. We will all join every dinosaur, ant and amoeba that ever lived recycled back into the indestructible components of the universe, atoms, molecules and energy. By chance, perhaps a few atoms that once were a part of us may be come to be part of some other organism. But that I as far as "eternal life goes." The time to celebrate those we choose to surround ourselves with is now. Neglecting a friend or family member, petty arguments and feuds are all ways to disrespect the people close to us and will only serve to feed the feelings of guilt when they die. All relationships are finite either through the failures of our interactions but ultimately by death. To avoid all the "would haves, could haves and should haves" regrets upon the death of a loved one it is necessary to do, feel and say all the things we might be tempted to put off. If a relationship has been healthy and no issues left to resolve upon one's death then nothing will remain but fond memories to celebrate. When my life partner died there was no "funeral." He was cremated and I threw a big afternoon party. I filled the house with open photograph albums depicting our best times together, catered an immense buffet lunch and played all his favorite music. The only solemn moments took place when we all gathered in the front yard and planted a tree in his memory using his ashes to help fill in the hole. Everyone was invited to write whatever they wanted on a slip of paper, attach it to a white balloon and we released simultaneously hundreds of balloons to the gentle afternoon breeze. And then we continued to party. This is not to say that there is not real grief attached to a relationship no matter how healthy it may have been. 18 years later I still miss him everyday. But I don't cling to hopes of being reunited and I have no unresolved issues with him that will never be resolved. A few objects around the house remind me of the day we did this or that but I visit no grave nor do I wail to the sky. He is alone as are we all in conducting our further business with the Universe as infinitesimal specs in a vast array of stardust.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2029
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.