Agnostic.com

28 7

Is it worth it

Is it worth it to try and meet someone new after your partner dies....I am trying to start afresh after my wife died a year ago...Before I met my wife I was happily single, meeting new women on a regular basis who just wanted sex...then met my future wife...We were happy and in love, we had so much in common it was scary...then she died...I have not met anyone yet who shares the same things and am getting older now...is it worth it now or should I keep trying...

James121 7 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

at least be open to the idea that you could meet someone

When my fiance died, I was completely 100% closed off to that idea and truly did not appreciate people talking about "someday you'll meet somebody." It's really hard in the beginning and, to me, one year in is still new.

That said, knowing what I know now, I see it is possible to love again. But, going back in time, I don't have any regrets about having the mindset that I did NOT WANT it to happen.

Dragoria - first, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Losing a partner is very very hard.

When my fiance died, I was 45. I was convinced, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I would never ever ever date again. Because I didn't want to. Because I was convinced that nobody would ever be as good as him or love me the way he loved me. I still believe that, oddly.

But, nature and life has a way of thwarting our best intentions. It was two years before I even noticed anybody else in an "attraction" way, but it did happen.

Is it worth it? Yes, I think so. No relationship is perfect. They don't all last. But, if you like a regular companion and friendship and consistency and sex and affection and living life in partnership, it means one day being open to meeting people, opening your heart and your life.

My last relationship was three years and just ended in October. Like I said, they don't all last. And, sometimes I think I'd be okay with never coupling up again. But, I am all too aware that life happens, biology is strong, and it may eventually happen. And, that's okay.

Are you thinking you are on a timetable and/or do you have a reason to rush on meeting somebody or coupling up?

Take care.

many hands make light work

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22256
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.