Agnostic.com

6 7

I read a book this past year which has really affected the way I think about religion. (and politics) It's called On Being Certain, by a neuroscientist named Robert Burton, and in it he explains the phenomenon of Certainty, especially as it pertains to fixed beliefs in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. A person can be <absolutely certain> about something which is factually false. Moreover, these certainties generally rule our lives, and the major decisions we make. It has given me a deeper understanding of people who previously made no sense to me, and has also softened my own self-judgment. Recommended.

sunhatpat 6 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great to know about.

Of course the first temptation is to think its all about scientific certainty V Theistic nonsense, but its not nearly as easy as this.

There are plenty of scientists who have taken pet theories to their grave, that had been proven wrong in their own lifetime.

Likewise, there are plenty of scientists who held their beliefs all their life against all contemporary opinion, and were proved right years after their death.

It may be more of a benefit than a problem. Most remaining neurological characteristics are there as a result of thousands of years of natural selection.

It sounds very interesting. I have added it to my list. Thank you! It also sounds like something quite a few people should read, including a number of folks on this very site.

Yes. Matt Dillahunty talks about that.

Thank you!

I've read similar ideas in articles and in chapters of books on atheism, and I find this psychological and neurological aspect of religious belief interesting too. I'll also check this book out. Thanks.

Regularly watch some of the atheist talks/debates on YouTube. I like the way physicist Lawrence Krause talks about facts in terms of probably (such as being 95% certain of something). It helps me when trying to connect the dots in political discussions, such as I'm 99% sure Trump helped launder Russian mob money, but think the probability of the Russians actually hacking our elections and costing Hillary the presidency less than 10%. The media talks about the latter as near 100% certainty without any evidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24412
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.