Agnostic.com

3 0

Should you be sorry for the things you say and do on purpose.

Doing or saying something on purpose mean you know what you was doing. You thought about doing it before you took action. You thought about saying something to someone one before you said it. This is for me. I believe in this philosophy. Only be sorry for the mistake you made not for what you do on purpose.

Peacefulperson 6 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we need a definition of "being sorry" and a concrete example or two.

I apologize for anything I do wrong, whether I did it on purpose or not. Sometimes I put conscious thought into something and I'm still dead wrong. Harms are harms, whether they were intended or not.

In fact this is one of the most important life skills to come out of my deconversion from fundamentalist Christianity. If there's any group of people who are invested in being "right" it's them; I had to learn that DOING right is more important than BEING right, that you're allowed to be human and admit to it, and that it's the only way you can continually improve.

Example If a man hit a women in the wrong way. Is that on purpose or mistake

@Peacefulperson I would think any way to strike a woman is the "wrong" way. Unless she's coming at you with murderous intent or something. Is this a serious question or are you just being provocative?

@mordant just trying to if what I believe is realistic. Their a big difference between doing things on purpose and making mistake. But too many people believe in what they do on purpose is a mistake.

@Peacefulperson OK ... I judge actions by their harms or benefits. From society's perspective, morality judges by harms or benefits to society; from the perspective of an ethical code, it judges by harms or benefits to the particular group to which the ethical code applies. Harms and benefits happen no matter what the intent was.

To me, where intent comes in, is in determining consequences. An accidental harm generally means there are fewer sanctions than an intentional one -- provided that the person who caused the harm isn't a repeat offender.

A long time ago I was a safety and compliance officer of a trucking firm. The ironclad principle in that field is that fixed objects don't hit trucks; trucks hit fixed objects. So a driver is ALWAYS at fault in a collision with a fixed object (e.g., overhead sign or canopy or bridge). It is incumbent on the driver to proactively look for such objects and not hit them. Therefore when a driver tried to say it was an accident -- the basic response was, well duh. So what. You still screwed up.

Where intent comes in, is that if a driver INTENTIONALLY runs his vehicle into a fixed object, that is considered willful destruction of property, a firing offense. If he ACCIDENTALLY runs his vehicle into a fixed object, that's X points on his driving record for a period of time, and typically if it happens 3 times in a set period period (perhaps 3 years) THAT is a firing offense or perhaps involves a demotion in what kind of vehicles one can drive, or to a warehouse position or something. This considers both intent and repeat offenses.

Most rule systems work on similar principles. All of us know people who cause significant harm and don't accept responsibility for it, saying that it was "just" an accident. Intent is only part of the picture.

If you know it's wrong and do it anyway, you should own up to your mistake and be sorry. If you accidentally harm someone, you should still be sorry and have a bit of empathy.

I think maybe what you are trying to say is "Do not do things that you will be sorry about later"

Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, just own them, apologize and move on.

If some start killing people for the fun of it is that mistake or on purpose.

@Peacefulperson If someone kills for fun (or any other reason, actually) then it's a conscious decision to have fun at others's expense and demonstrates a lack of empathy (among other deficits). So that would be purposeful activity. If the person is, say, mentally challenged or psychologically unwell, they may in a sense "accidentally" skip some necessary steps in evaluating whether they should or shouldn't murder, thus arriving at a wrong conclusion -- but because murder is such a great harm, there is not usually a lot of leeway or "benefit of the doubt" for such actions. In an ideal world an impaired / challenged person would be recognized and managed well before murder came into the picture.

Good case in point is the shooter at the Florida high school yesterday. He will spend the rest of his life in prison or possibly get the death penalty depending on Florida state law, but if the legal and mental health systems had done their jobs and we had rational gun controls, it never would have gotten to the place it did, either.

@Peacefulperson If you kill for fun, then you probably won't be sorry.

I think being sorry for something you did on purpose is an important part of putting right bad things we may have done. Say, as an example, you steal a colleague's last can of Coke from the fridge at work. They find out it was you and you have to buy them a replacement, but you're not sorry - is buying them a replacement really worth anything? However, if you feel bad about it, buy them a pack of six and tell them you're genuinely sorry, that counts for a lot.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 15, 2018

For me if I took something that I shouldn't have taken than I won't be sorry I will just replace it. Sorry doesn't change anything

@Peacefulperson "Sorry" recognizes that you have harmed / inconvenienced / disrespected others and is a social signifier that you fully own that you did a bad thing and will strive not to repeat it. Making restitution is only part of the picture.

The Magic Two Words, "I'm sorry" is not at all hard to utter and mean it. But for some inexplicable reason, some people are incapable of going there. It represents some irrational loss of face or something. The way most people will take your lack of contrition is that they will assume (usually, correctly) that you don't actually care that you harmed them.

In any case, there's the problem that some things aren't replaceable. If you run over someone's child, you can't replace it. Also, you might run over other people's children. Because children are particularly precious to a civil society, you will be arrested, jailed, etc for doing so. Whether or not it was an accident and whether or not you said "oops". However, genuine, heartfelt contrition is still appreciated and will be considered in determining your sentencing and will also be helpful to the grieving parents.

@Peacefulperson If someone stole something from me, I'd rather a genuine, heartfelt apology than anything else. It shows they feel remorse for what they've done and won't do it again, to me or anyone else.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24512
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.