Agnostic.com

11 6

I'm confused/stupid when it comes to hashtags. They seem too vague to serve any real purpose. Please educate me!

suesue2222 5 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Can't help you, I'm the same way. I think they are stupid.

They're useful for analytics.

If this site had a "tag cloud", where tags of topics discussed more are listed larger and heavier that other tags, I bet "gundebate", "florida", etc. would be prominent. Of course, there are other uses than just "tag clouds".

I'm no analytics/data person, but I'm sure analysis by a data person of the tags would result in some insights.

Did someone say hash?

oh i know, Remember when it was around in the 60's? Wow sit back with some blond hash and listen to Alman Bros.

Sounds like a hole you burn in your furniture while smoking some resin in a spliff

It's kind of like a way to start a side conversation with other people. when you add a hashtag to something you are basically starting a new chat style chat room ( of sorts ) so people can comment on the subject you tagged easier than just commenting into the void

I see no reason for them, and don't ever use them.

I'm glad you asked, I'm clueless.

I'm with ya! I think it's a good way to keep people thinking simple.

I have no use for them. They are nothing but 'pound' signs to me.

(From Google) hash. tag: A word or phrase preceded by a hash mark ☀, used within a message to identify a keyword or topic of interest and facilitate a search for it. Whenever a user adds a hashtag to their post, it's able to be indexed by the social network and becomes searchable/discoverable by other users.

Thank you! But still...

If you append a post with, let's say. #jello, then jello goes into a database of tags (if it isn't already there) and your post or tweet or whatever gets indexed to it. So anyone looking for jello would find your message.

Thanks for the info, but if I wanted to look up a jello recipe, wouldn't I end up getting jello wrestling as well?

...which becomes a pain in the arse later when, while doing a genuine search for real info, I have to wade through a shit load of stupid blogs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27815
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.