Agnostic.com

8 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a person who works with people with Intellectual Disabilities I'm really skeptical about this. People living in group homes seem to me to be cash cows for big pharma. You would not believe all the meds these people are prescribed. It seems this is the case because they are easy targets. There really isn't anyone who has authority to say "no" unless the resident is their own guardian and can speak for themselves and not be challenged by case workers.
If we knew that this wasn't a push by big pharma to get more people on meds I'd support it. Meds aren't always the answer either, sometimes it is just to make it easy for others to live with that person and to not have to learn other interventions to help that person.

Uhhh..... lifelong depression sufferer here. Over twenty suicide attempts under my belt. Most recent being Christmas Eve morning. When I was a teen, I wouldn't even admit to myself, let alone mom, family or doctor's that I was struggling with depression. Even now, it's difficult for me to be honest with people that I'm constantly suicidal like breathing. And, I'm 37!!! How the hell do they think a teenager will admit this????

I'm wondering if there's a causal link between the frequency of endorphin triggers versus over mental health. Is the increasing frequency of depression a symptom of our increasing lethargy?

Every year before school our community holds a health fair. It is a well child/adolescent exam and sport physical sign off. No student is turned away for inability to pay. They bill out insurance when possible and do not collect a copay. There are several stations kids visit. Vitals, physical assessments by physical therapist, nurse for nutrition, a counselor for a mental health screen, a physician for a physical exam, a nurse for sexual health wellness, and a nurse for any needed vaccines. All the staff and professionals donate their time as do the facilities and businesses. All students are given a gift certificate to our local movie theater and entered into a larger drawing to compensate for time/encourage participation. Students with health concerns are given resources where they can access care and the results of their exams are forwarded to their PCP, MH, and DHS and/or law when applicable. It's a huge undertaking, but invaluable to kids, particularly of lower income, without health insurance or parents that are not as involved. I have much respect for it.

I think I land on the "for" side of this. I agree with all the concerns regarding over medicating but perhaps it could be a step towards destigmatizing mental health treatment. I think it would be cool to have an allotted time in school for the pursuit of mental health, like a gym class for the mind. Yes, I have a rich fantasy life.

I am ambivalent about this. It might be helpful. On the other hand, if young people receive a DSM label when they in their teens, that label might follow them and hurt them later. Also, many mental health professionals are gung ho to put children on medications. I think medication should be a last resort. In my work in the social services, I have met children as young as six who are put on anti-depressants. Instead of medications, we should reduce the stress children face - do something about neglect and abuse, fix the terrible foster care system, etc.

SKH78 Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

don't get me started on ADHD

I also heard this. Again, all this screening and testing are resources that have a financial and time cost. Not every school can afford the extra expenses. Also, how do we test students with whom English as not their main or even understood language? I view a lot of things as resources and as they become in short supply there is more competition and more will be left out. That often leads to anger and violence.

Depression and anxiety are pretty common. So is teenage angst.Awareness of these things for all age groups is important. I wish there were more emphasis on non medication based interventions

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29566
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.