Agnostic.com

43 4

What's the best book you've read lately?

Just looking for suggestions. I'm particularly fond of fantasy/sci-fi novels but other genres are welcome!

Mea 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

By the way, if fantasy and science fiction are you main interest I would highly recomend a subscription to Fantasy & Science Fiction through the Kindle Newstand. It can be hit and miss sometimes, but it seemes like there's always something worth reading.

The girl on the train by Paula Hawkins.

Redemption Ark by Alistair Reynolds

Gohan Level 7 Mar 16, 2018

Lately? I'd have to say ISHMAEL, by Daniel Quinn.

Honestly, I've read some pretty average stuff. I just bought "The Bazaar of Bad Dreams" by Stephen King. It looks promising.

JimG Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. When I was yonger I never thought I'd be reading a historical novel, but Wolf Hall had me rivetted to the sofa.

I read two I can recommend - A Gentleman In Moscow and Exit West.

Geoff Level 5 Mar 16, 2018

Reading really wears me out. I think the last novella I read was 1984. The most recent thing was a book about woodworking XD

You're Making Me Hate You by Corey Taylor is by far the greatest book I've read in a while its super true while funny because its written by a famous Hard Rock singer who basically written down everything he hates about dumb stupid people and wastes of humanity that make up most of the earth in this book its smart snarky and funny which makes you laugh but then look back and shake your head going like "oh yeah thats... yeah thats pretty damn sad. where has humanity gone to?" I definetly reccomend.

The best lately would be "The Subtle Art of Not Giving A Fuck." It was exactly what I needed at the time I read it.

I've been enjoying the new Red Rising book. The expanse is probably my favorite this year though.

I realy ejoyed Song Of Kali by Dan Simmons...he also does the Hyperion books that I have to get back into...

When breat becomes aIr
paul kalanIthI

*Breath

Carl panzram a journal of murder by henry lesser

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfus. Does re-reading lately count?

I Would Reccomed The Thomas Covermanter Books.

Coldo Level 8 Mar 15, 2018

I haven't read much fiction lately but Death by Black Hole by Neil Degrasse Tyson was pretty good.

My favorite Indie fantasy sci-fi, is Misha Burnette's Catskinner series. I have re-read the series many times, but I keep reading it again, because it's so much better than most other books, especially when I want to be totally obsorbed in the story to distract from travel, having to wait in an office, etc.

It's about an ordinary guy who has an off world energy being bound to him that can make him supernaturally strong and fast, and it loves to kill. He makes a living by doing hit jobs for money, working for a boss who somehow doesn't seem quite "alive." Then he falls in love..but is that beautiful woman really fully human? The protagonist gradually becomes aware that the world isn't as it appears.

Here's a link to the first book of the series:
Catskinner's Book (The Book Of Lost Doors 1) [amazon.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.