Agnostic.com

6 2

Poll: How do you view Trump's Pandemic Response (check all that you think apply)

This poll has grown out of some conversations I've been having with people offline, and one or two here.

Classifying Trump's Pandemic Response (or non-response)

• 7 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
kmaz 7 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very disappointed overall in the various media organizations of generally higher quality for failing to bring home more quickly that the President's pandemic response (or non-response), in the eyes of so many citizens, amounts to some form of arguably criminal negligence and misconduct. It's nice that the editors of those media organizations may or may not think this, but my point is that they should bring out what SO MANY CITIZENS ARE THINKING. They have not done this, as far as I know. I have started to point the way with this totally unscientific thread, but for a next step how about multiple organizations perform multiple proper professional polls, with choices similar to the ones I've laid out above?

kmaz Level 7 July 27, 2020

What would a decent President do?

There's a difference in how a decent President would have responded in January-February, and how they would have to respond now. This might make for a good additional poll question, as to multiple measures they would take now, about the pandemic.

kmaz Level 7 July 26, 2020

A cousin of a friend of mine died yesterday from the virus. Thanks Donald. Thanks steadfast supporters of Trump and McConnell and all the other lackeys. Great job of magnifying the injuries and deaths of the entire US population to orders of magnitude more than in other countries. That was your goal, right? Well done.

kmaz Level 7 July 25, 2020

To this point, most of the votes have been for Malfeasance in Office (Unlawful, official misconduct). The question becomes, if any significant number of American voters considers the President to have been guilty of that sort of thing, in the face of one of the most deadly threats to the country (ever) then: Why is there not a proper and expedited Impeachment effort to remove the President from office? I can think of some answers at a high or meta- level:

1. The President appears to use various levels of blackmail and bullying coercion to get what he wants from legislators and others, and this was on display in the previous Impeachment effort.
  2. Those legislators are also weighed down by their own horrible incompetent judgment. Many of them have convinced themselves (beyond being reachable) that they are protecting freedom, liberty, individual rights, and so-on.
  3. Millions of supporters of those awful legislators, including some here on this discussion forum, are culpable in supporting those legislators to a fault.... failing to communicate to their legislators that it is unacceptable to leave a leader in place when he is literally getting dozens and hundreds of thousands of Americans killed.
kmaz Level 7 July 25, 2020

@jorj The President has powers to execute the laws that Congress creates, i.e. Congress gives the President powers in order to execute the laws, which are strictly speaking above and beyond anything stated in the Constitution.

Part of those executive powers had to do with the national stockpile of emergency medical supplies. Another is invoking the National Defense Production act. These are powers already vested by Congress to the President. These are just two examples about which Trump has failed. It is not propaganda.

@bingst

Jorj's comments on these matters are in my view far enough removed from reality that they signal that there isn't going to be much productive discussion with him on these matters, though I appreciate that you and @shockwaverider did at least try to straighten some of it out. Normally I would not make a comment like this, but more than a hundred thousand Americans are dead, and that is attributable in large part to the malfeasance of our would-be dictator, and so we are arguably in the midst of a dire crisis, and so I think it becomes more important to be very clear and to the point.

I’m wanting to consult a law dictionary. Thanks for defining the prefixes mal, mis and non.

I do think it's useful and good to make the effort to consult and define and review the meaning of these words. At the same time I think it's wrong to fail to state things for what they are because we may get bogged down to the nth degree in parsing and dissecting words.

For this poll, I did want to make some effort to present an array of choices, but I don't have background in the law. I did what I could to do quick research on wikipedia, such as here.

[en.wikipedia.org]
and here:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Sometimes polls don't come out exactly as we want, and my experience has been not to try to edit them here once they're up and running, but on this one, so far it seemed to come out ok. I thought making it "check all the ones you think apply" kind of reduced some of the tension around getting the exact right legal definition, particularly where we are in a culture where, here and there, there is a person who will try to use that desire against us not to really understand what has happened with the President, but (essentially) to bog down the conversation.

He doesn't care about how many people die, lose their jobs, life savings, schools, children, teachers. He cares about staying in power.

barjoe Level 9 July 25, 2020

The other day I read something about proposed stimulus funds, and once again there was some resistance to funding testing (if I read the story correctly). We are six months into the crisis that carries a risk of another great economic depression and the possible ending of our Democracy as we know it, not to mention the possible loss of hundreds of thousands of American lives (if not more) and possible gross harm brought to even more people, and the legislators and executive branch can't get straight the multiple basic measures that would actually allow US citizens to fight back and win and carry on. We are in a society plagued by deep levels of intellectual bankruptcy among dozens and hundreds of millions of people.

Another thing that makes this all much worse is to watch the same malfeasant legislators and head of state preening and falsely claiming to be worried about the economy. They have brought enormous harm to the economy with their gross incompetence, on top of the harm brought by the necessary response to the Pandemic. We are about to reap the economic rewards of all of that posturing and incompetence.

I agree. He's a compulsive grifter constantly working on his next scam.
Other folks aren't people. They're just targets to be victimized.

And even worse, he's part of that group (especially in America) that has a twisted definition of competition -- 'it's not enough to win, the other side must lose'.

@RichCC

and yet, we (many citizens and our representatives) did an enormous amount of work to get to a point where we could commit the painful-but-necessary act of removing him from the job we hired him for, and a group of 52-53 cowards (and the millions of cowardly citizens supporting their votes) in the Senate voted to keep him in office. Another untold number of representatives, their supporters and others have acted to prevent a more robust removal effort (such as bringing multiple additional charges on various other grounds. So, some of this (those portions that can be attributed to a collective) is on a lot of us, to one degree or another. However, this does not remove the rogue murderous employee's responsibility for his own behavior.

@kmaz
Three words come to mind -- tribalism, selfishness and ignorance.
People vote for their side to beat the other side -- no matter what the consequences.

another thought here:

Yes, there is a strong argument that Trump doesn't care, and that what he is interested in is determined by whatever bauble is in front of his face 5 minutes from now. However, I do think it is possible that in some ways he does care to kill people.

He "joked" recently about possibly withholding testing from some, as a political matter. This doesn't really prove my point, but I think does help open the door to a more mature discussion of how far he is willing to go to sacrifice lives, on purpose.

Another thing that fits with what he likes is that the virus is harming some non-white groups much worse than it is harming white groups.

Another thing I've noticed is that the virus disproportionately impacts poor people who have no choice but to continue their group manual labor (which puts them at greater risk). The deaths of many manual laborers might, I theorize, be ok with him and how he sees the economy.

All-in-all, particularly since I first heard the nauseatingly bad/incompetent (? accidentally on purpose?" ) pandemic response coming out of his mouth in January-February, I can't help but speculate that he may at times see the virus as an opportunity to preside over the taking of far more lives than needed without historians being able to pin the label on him of being a garden-variety mass-murdering dictator. I don't actually think this is really the best way to see where he is coming from, but I thought it would be a good exercise to try to spell out the argument.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.