Agnostic.com

11 0

Best Books

What one book that you have read, do you think every reader should read?

TimothyIII 5 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would be remiss were I not to recommend a writer who has a number of titles available at Amazon and your local bookstore it you ask for them. Tim Campbell has a collection called the Fire-Frost International series which include All's Fair and What Goes Around soon to be followed by about 6 other. International intrigue and suspense. He also has a paranormal sort of romance title, Mourning Melody which is a great read. Another friend, Ian Forsythe has a new release out titled Rose by Another Name which is a historical romance set during and shortly after WWI.

History of the world in 10 1/2 chapters by Julian Barnes. It was the first book I read that really opened my mind to alternative thinking.

Difficult to pick one - Hemingway's the Old Man and the Sea for the sheer grit and human courage. Marquez's A Hundred Years of Solitude for the infinity that magical realism can help you to scale

Mediations- Marcus Aurelius

I own at least 8 copies. I always have one close. Still waiting on an autographed first print..

Sorry, can't limit it to one book and won't be so presumptuous to think others should read it too

So you're saying that you would never recommend a book to a friend?

@TimothyIII My English comprehension and expression must not be as clear as I think it is. I don't know anybody here well enough to recommend books to them, especially if I have to limit it to one single one. But let's say I know people here; I like any Kate Wilhelm book; also Blue Highways by William Least Heatmoon; A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryce; Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and Coraline and everything by Douglas Adams.And for the fiber artist among us: Ther Spinner's Book of Fleece and Raising SHeep . Have fun reading them.

I remember the first adult book I ever read when I was eleven y.o. was called 'Did She Fall' by Thorne Smith its really old and i havent re read it since i was about 15 but I do remember feeling really adult - My mum never read much, just those condensed slim womens fiction, but she had a copy of Lady Chatterlys Lover under her bed that I found and read not sure that I got any of the sexual allusions at all but knew it was banned - but again it felt like I was really growing up.
I can't pick a favourite because I'd be here all night wondering which really was the best. My Aunt used to belongto a book club and if she found a book she thought i would like she would save it for me - So maybe its a book called Mostly Murder by Sir Sidney Smith the first pathologist

Mostly Murder by sir sidney smith

Dominion and Conquest by Donald Trump

Dang, that’s a tough one. One of my all time favorites that I think anyone can enjoy is The Outsiders. And while that does deal with class differences, I feel like something that addresses ethnicity would be a better selection. Unfortunately I can’t think of one off the top of my head. Perhaps Roots but that might be a bit ambitious for people who don’t enjoy reading. I should really revisit that book....

Stranger in a Strange Land. It's the best argument for Sci-fi as a literary movement.

There are the obivioul ones, but Caleb Carr's The Alienist is a great read and one that anyone might enjoy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53720
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.