Agnostic.com

1 5

I was recently reminded of one of my favorite secular parables and I wanted to pass it along in case no one has heard it. I don't know the author and it certainly isn't mine, but I love it.

A boy and his father are walking through busy downtown streets when a beggar with the typical beard and ragged clothes asks the father for money. The father gives him $5. The son is shocked and after walking away tells his dad, "Dad, why'd you do that! He's only going to spend it on booze!"
The father looks down at his son and says "Son, what he does with the money says something about him. Whether or not I give him anything says something about me."

towkneed 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agree to taxation which supports org's that help the needy, or simply houses them and offers to help if they take it, so that all help is given by merit and equal need. If you give to the street person then you may well be just enabling an addiction or mental illness.

It's about kindness, not making assumptions and not presuming the right to judge others, and self accountability. Your reply is not related to the point I was trying to make, whether or not I agree with the assumptions at the root of your statement.

@towkneed No, it's not. It's about understanding how our great intentions may enable an addict to prevent their hitting bottom. Kindness doesn't take that into account. It also doesn't take into account merit or need. Govt programs for the poor do/would/should do those things so that the most good comes from the resources. Kindness just provides money to sooth the giver's conscience.

@rainmanjr Thanks for telling me what I meant!

@rainmanjr Btw:
Specious assumptions:

1. The beggar is homeless.
  2. His begging somehow makes him either an addict, mentally ill, or otherwise not worthy of agency.
  3. Addicts and the mentally ill should not have agency for their own good.
  4. Chemical addiction is worse than other addictions (it requires money for purchase).
  5. Persons who either don't beg or are not homeless are more worthy of agency.
  6. Paying taxes that may or may not go to welfare programs is somehow better than personal interaction.
  7. It's okay to judge beggars and make assumptions about their life and actions.

I could go on.

I don't like to argue online and it's a waste of my time so I will block you next time you try to tell me what I meant. Not that you should care.

@towkneed I disagreed and countered your statement. That is NOT telling you what you meant. It is saying you are wrong based on three years of my Chairing Gam-Anon meetings. Block me, please, because you are not worth my time.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:709046
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.