Agnostic.com

4 3

Animals have dialects and can even learn a different language. [baynature.org]
The Disappearing Language of Sparrows
The Bay Area's white-crowned sparrows have their own dialects, but their environment is changing and so are their songs.

jackjr 7 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't know if it's a dialect, family thing or individual preference but some songbirds at my house have a distinctive call that is one note longer than those five miles south of me. Exactly the same except they omit the terminal note.

Very impressive you have paid attention. I often hear Crows talking. Often it is a one sided conversation.

I'm sure indigenous peoples had a much better understanding of how the animals around them communicated.

I have read about this. Humans are just beginning to understand the complex world of other creatures. We could learn so much from them if only we weren't so human-centric. Dolphins, too, have dialects, and call each other by name. I think I read that birds do this too. My dog knows his family's human names when he hears them, but what does HE call us?

Woof!, Woof! and Woof! 🙂

He does have a variety of barks for different things. The mailman, for instance, elicits a more angry and aggressive bark than the Amazon delivery guy.

We in Yountville California”s Napa County have wild turkeys and they are very noisily mating now. I’m listening for and hearing repeated sounds as we homo approach or walk near them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:715498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.