Agnostic.com

4 16

I posted this in FB, but it bears repeating: Happy Ostara . . . err . . . Easter!

I would say that Easter is one of the most misunderstood holidays, but in reality, most Christian holidays (including Groundhog’s Day) are based on pagan holiday and, by default, are misunderstood.

“Whoa, Gwen,” you say, “I understand that Christmas and Halloween are based on heathen practices but Easter? The most holy day of Christianity?”

And Gwen says, “Yup.”

First, consider the word “Easter.” It is based on a Celtic/Germanic goddess of the dawn/spring, Ostara or Eostre. Several years ago, fundie Christians claimed the name descended from “Ishtar,” the Babylonian goddess of fertility, but this is just silliness. While the names sound alike, consider the likelihood that a Babylonian name would survive thousands of years to be chosen as a title for a pagan holiday in Europe. There is no direct lineage of practices and any deities/myths are archetypal in nature. The name also far predates Wicca (which dates from the mid 20th century) but Ostara is one of the sabbats in the Wheel of the Year.

Then, there are the pagan symbols associated with the day. Bunnies and eggs are symbols of fertility, which, in turn, symbolize birth. Note that this reference to “birth” is actual physical birth, not necessarily resurrection. However, while on the topic of resurrection, Jesus joins other deities who are reborn/resurrected in spring. Most notably, Persephone ascends from Hades and lives above ground until autumn dictates her return. When Inanna died and was dead for three days (a precursor to the time Jesus spent in the tomb), all fertility stopped; her return to the upper world meant “things” could return to normal. The seasons differ in Mesopotamia than they do in Europe, but the emphasis is on growing seasons. Spring officially began with the vernal equinox, but most signs that spring is here occur around this time.

In the modern world, Jesus is the most famous dying/resurrecting deity, but he is based on thousands of years of history preceding him.
Celebrate what you like, but this is the celebration of the reaffirmation of life . . . and life goes on. Yup, we will die someday, and some believe that they will be resurrected in an afterlife. For those who do not hold this belief, life goes on because the human race goes on

That is, of course, until the earth is burnt to a cinder by the red giant of the sun. By then, humans will be extinct--don't worry, we have a few more centuries! In the meantime, sit in the sun and acknowledge that without it, we would not be alive. Eat, drink, be merry, and begin to prepare for the coming winter.

(I like to think of the Cosmic or Universal Egg that exists in many creation myths as a giant Easter egg. And on that image . . . enjoy!)

Gwendolyn2018 9 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is possibly an even more direct link between eggs and Easter as well as a metaphor for fertility. Since in the days before modern farming, many people harvested wild birds eggs for eating. While before modern selective breeding had improved their performance, and electric light had altered their day length artificially, even domestic hens probably stopped laying in the winter. So that eggs were a symbol of spring directly, because for most people, they were the first new food to appear after the hunger of winter, just as the preserved autumn harvest began to run out.

This is the best validation of Christianity anybody could hope for. No religion, including Christianity, is a product of human ingenuity. It is a product of bio-cultural evolution, and of course every culture puts their own brand name on it, and every culture probably thinks their brand is the best one. But each one is a reiteration of an earlier one, with a few refinements. Christianity wasn't the first to do this, and won't be the last. Individual humans don't invent religions.

Our species invents religions.

Only because it has conferred survival and reproductive advantages. It's Homo sapiens' "peacock tail". It is cumbersome, and truly absurd... but it gets you laid!

The reason religious participation is on the rise worldwide, is because their fertility rate is half again or double that of the non-religious.

skado Level 9 Apr 9, 2023

But of course being poor and ill educated does not tend to increase both your reproductive rate, and your probability of being in a religion. What is that old saying ? Correlation is not causation.

Though it has also to be pointed out that religion also has a strong link to low women's rights, which is also linked to a higher birth rate. So perhaps there is an indirect link between the correlation and the result.

@Fernapple
Global poverty has been going down for decades, as global religious affiliation continues to rise. That relationship doesn’t even enjoy correlation.

And gender equality has been improving globally, so there’s a correlation for you - between women’s rights and religious participation. If you find data to the contrary please post it here. Thanks.

@skado My point was that correlation does not equal causation, anyway.

PS. I don't think that this set of unrelated stats even really correlates, religion is not religious affiliation.

@Fernapple
We all know that correlation is not causation. And we all know that religion is not religious affiliation. But we only have the stats we have. If positive inferences can’t be drawn from incomplete stats, neither can negative ones. If there are better stats available, please direct our attention to them.

I see it all as just a giant fairy tale. Old myths revamped into newer ones. I just disregard them all.

Betty Level 8 Apr 8, 2023

So that's how this all worked?

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

(And I'd say the NT God is even worse.)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:718380
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.