Agnostic.com

2 5

I Don't Know Why Everyone Can't See This; Russia Using the Nazi Playbook

Reading through military historian John Keegan's comprehensive and brilliant tome, The Second World War, I was struck by the massive and unmissable parallels between Nazi Germany's actions in the prelude to the war, and modern Russia's actions in Ukraine and elsewhere.

By March 1938 Hitler felt free to move against Austria. He first demanded that Austrian Nazis be installed in key government posts. When Kurt von Schuschnigg, the Austrian Chancellor, refused, Arthur Seyss-Inquart, the Austrian Nazi leader, was instructed to declare himself head of a provisional government and request German intervention.

Compare Russia's encouragement of a separatist movement in Ukraine. After illegally annexing Crimea in 2014, Russia began arming and abetting separatists in the Donbas region. Ukraine's democratically elected government acted to suppress the revolt, giving Russia the pretext to claim, by 2022, that they were invading to "protect" the very separatists they had sponsored.

Moscow also claimed a duty to protect the roughly 8 million ethnic Russians living in Ukraine from their own government, despite the fact that it was Russian machinations that had supposedly placed them in danger in the first place. Compare Germany's actions later in 1938:

In April [Hitler] ordered OKW to prepare plans for a military operation, meanwhile instructing the Nazi groups among the Sudetenland Germans to sustain demands for secession... on 12 September, when he delivered a fiery anti-Czech speech at Nuremberg, German troops moved to the frontier.

Again we have incitement to sympathizers in another nation, followed by a "special military operation". Soon after, the rape of Czechoslovakia was accomplished.

Personally, I don't understand how there is anyone outside of Russia still defending the invasion of Ukraine. Putin's actions come straight from Hitler's playbook. The only difference is his blaming NATO and the EU for Ukraine's 2013 democratic revolution, which expelled a deeply corrupt and incompetent Russia-sponsored government. Putin framed the revolution as a Western-backed “fascist coup” that endangered the ethnic Russian majority in Crimea. (Western leaders dismissed this as baseless propaganda reminiscent of the Soviet era.) In response, Putin ordered a covert invasion of Crimea that he later justified as a rescue operation. “There is a limit to everything. And with Ukraine, our western partners have crossed the line,” Putin said in March 2014, formalizing the annexation.

Those who blame the West for "provoking" Russia ignore that it was the popular will of Ukrainians themselves that expelled Putin's puppet president. The aggressor throughout has been Putin's Russia. Nostalgia for the days of the Soviet empire, and resentment over the growth of Western influence in the old Soviet sphere, is the reason for the invasion of Ukraine. It is not self-defense. It is simple resentment for the loss of empire, hunger for power and territory... the kind that propelled Adolf Hitler.

I don't understand how everyone doesn't see this. Luckily, the Biden administration and the governments of Europe see it all too clearly.

Paul4747 8 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One notable aspect of Putin's playbook is his use of population relocation. He uses mass numbers of people to change the conditions on the ground to his advantage. After taking over Crimea, something like a million people were brought in to 'defend' it. Since the war started, Putin removed vast numbers of people from eastern Ukraine, often separating families.

He also used Syrian refugees to destabilize Europe.

Unfortunately that's one that goes back to the very first known civilizations. The Assyrians relocated conquered peoples so they would be less able to revolt. It continued among the Mongols, Czarist Russia, the United States... (yeah, not proud of that last one, but we did it too)

Yes, there are more people in the West buying into Putin's propaganda crap than I would have thought before the war. Creepy.

Many have taken this stand merely because Trump allied himself with Putin, and in their world, what Donald thinks is what they think.

Others, while pretending to take a principled stand against war, are actually using this to cover an isolationist stance... not unlike Charles Lindbergh in the1930s. Perhaps not coincidentally, Lindbergh also mixed antisemitism in his America First kool-aide.

@Paul4747 That's a very good analysis. Most of what people think or believe , at least in politics, boils down to person loyalty or identification with a certain group.

Here in Europe, visceral anti-Americanism is the main reason of those who are against helping Ukraine, even if it turns them into Putin's useful idiots. All those who despise / hate the "Yankees" believe that the enemy (Putin) of my enemy (America) must somehow be my friend. It's the common ground where the radical left and the radical right meet. Officially they all claim to be "against the war", even if the "peace" they are fighting for would mean that Ukraine becomes a "peaceful" Russian province.

@Thibaud70 "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less." Maxim 29, from The 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries (found in the webcomic Schlock Mercenary, which, if you don't know of it, is very very good)

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:719607
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.