Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK A. I. Could Replace the Equivalent of 300 Million Jobs

I only posted this story do I could use the meme.

barjoe 9 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think this is mostly a bunch of hype. AIs simply are very very good at consuming vast amounts of data and regurgitating it back out. I think we're many years away from AIs replacing anyone's jobs. I doubt anyone has anything to worry about unless your job is creating mounds of computer generated garbage.

But... in case I'm wrong... All hail our AI overlords! 😀

Instead of worrying so much about unemployment, why not make it a goal to replace as many workers with machines, AI or not, as possible? Think of all the brainpower freed to think, create, innovate, invent, or just lay around the pool (installed by robots)! The manufactured goods would still be produced, the crops would still be grown, the highways paved ... This could produce a utopia, only requiring a handful of technicians and bureaucrats to maintain. We could even do without politicians. Just input the necessary data, out comes the policy! No corruption! (AI would also input the data). Yes, some people in all fields would remain, but one would think 65-70% could be liberated to live lives free of drudgery.

I `don’t believe you.

I don't work and I really don't care about the future. Any free services I can get by way of artificial intelligence benefits me. I just posted the article because it's relevant to the Allen Iverson meme

@barjoe So your post is clickbait.

The article adds much more including, “…so all firm predictions should be taken with a very large pinch of salt".

@yvilletom I read the article. It's interesting. I only posted it tho because I saw the meme of Allen Iverson (nickname AI) who's one of my all time favorite players. I didn't change the headline, it's not click bait.

All we now is cheap energy and we'd have Frederik Pohl's "The Midas Plague" -- [en.m.wikipedia.org]
The future is coming. Who needs people anyway?

From the wiki link

"The Midas Plague" (originally published in Galaxy in 1954). In a world of cheap energy, robots are overproducing the commodities enjoyed by humankind. The lower-class "poor" must spend their lives in frantic consumption, trying to keep up with the robots' extravagant production, while the upper-class "rich" can live lives of simplicity. Property crime is nonexistent, and the government Ration Board enforces the use of ration stamps to ensure that everyone consumes their quotas. The story deals with Morey Fry, who marries a woman from a higher-class family. Raised in a home with only five rooms she is unused to a life of forced consumption in their mansion of 26 rooms, nine automobiles, and five robots, causing arguments. Trained as an engineer, Morey modifies his robots to enjoy helping to consume his family's quota. He fears punishment when his idea is discovered, but the Ration Board—which has been looking for a way to abolish itself—quickly implements Morey's idea across the world.

Sounds similar to Brave New World, where feeling bad is not permitted and children are cloned to be completely happy in whatever endeavor they were bred for.

@Barnie2years
You won't notice -- you'll be programmed not to.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -- probably a slight misquote.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:722554
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.