Agnostic.com

1 4

LINK What Native Americans Ate Before European Contact - YouTube

Amazing how much of our modern diet originated with Native Americans ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And regional fruits. For example, figs in the rain forests are spread through the feces of monkeys. I'll imagine they utilized animals and fish, too. Their diets must've been nutritious because they thrived.

Until Europeans showed up.

Yeah, European diseases wiped out 95-98% of the Native population. That basically destroyed their culture and economic infrastructure, and at least 50% of the tribes were totally wiped out completely. As most tribes had no writing system, the word of mouth knowledge accumulated and passed down for tens of thousands of years was mostly, and almost completely lost. Those tribes which did have writing systems had almost all of their writings burned by Cortez and other religious fanatics who believed they were doing "god's work".

I always wondered about the term "god's work"... I mean should an all powerful being be able to do his own work?

@snytiger6 Apparently, ONE CATHOLIC PRIEST, conscience-stricken, saved a copy of the Popol Vuh...which is all we have now to study the religious beliefs of the Maya people.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:765729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.