Agnostic.com

40 1

Do you expect an award when you’ve done a good deed?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. "Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation begets disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest." Georgia Lass, 'Dead Like Me'

Nope! The reward was being able to do it!

Nope I expect a thank you acknowledging it. Otherwise your taking it for granted.

No.

Zster Level 8 May 17, 2018

It depends. Certainly not an award, but simple appreciation goes a really long way. In some instances, as in a good deed done for a stranger, I can be doing it anonymously, in which no thanks can be given. I’ve been in the position of doing (many) serial good deeds for someone who is unappreciative, and I lose my desire. I’m also in the position at the moment of doing a huge good deed (regular child care, meal prep, etc. at no charge) and I’ve gotta say, show some appreciation! A simple (daily) sincere thank you is all it takes to make it worthwhile.

Nope

My dopamine levels better had

No, but my dog does.

No, not in the least.

Too cynical for that I'm afraid.

would I expect any kind of remuneration for a good deed. Being of the belief that no external force guides or intervenes in our lives. I have the belief as it were that when possible we should help other whenever possible. Non theistically speaking what comes around goes around. And hopefully if at some point we needed help someone would do the same for us. And in providing help I of course have been burned a few times. Yet I still continue on as I truly think there are more good people than not.

I don’t even expect any sort of recognition. Good deeds are done because that’s how society functions. You don’t need a pat on the head unless you’re a simpleton or a child.

And a cookie?

jab60 Level 6 May 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83497
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.