Agnostic.com

63 2

How does one go about being a polite atheist?

If, as an agnostic, atheist, non-believer, or especially anti-theist truly find folly in the belief of deities, spirits, fate, etc.; do you find it difficult to speak of your convictions to those that hold belief central to thier identity? What are some tactics you use to broach the subject as non-offensively as possible, (assuming it isn't inappropriate)?

menathuryn 4 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

63 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Don’t brooch the subject. I wouldn’t dream of attempting to push my lack of belief on people, any more than I would welcome them trying push their beliefs onto me. I’m all for intelligent discussion if someone raises the subject but not for preaching, not from either point of view.

The same as leading with a different culture, you don't need to cite atheism or complain for any bless yu that you hear, those are in most of times meaningless and just linguistical expressions.
I just use the atheist card when directly questioned or when I see some action/decision/judgement that was made on religious bases and can harm someone, then I just invite the person to think if he/she is allowed to force their world view on another person. And as most people I deal with are christians, in the christianism itself is said to talk about Jesus and if the other people don't want, go away, don't force. So Even in religion it is stated that you can't force, why are you doing this?

Be polite... Be atheist...
Seriously though, I don't bring it up in the vast majority of interactions because I don't find it necessary, but if I feel safe enough with someone to have that conversation, it's because I think they're mature enough to disagree without being combative. My beliefs are my own and I have no need to force you into them. If you extend me the same level of courtesy, there is simply no problem.

I've been an atheist for a long time and I'm still figuring this one out. I'll get back to you. ?

the same as being a polite person

Don't ask. Don't tell. Polite until someone starts to god me and I say, i think we philosophically disagree. I will talk another subject except that one. My oldest sister, who is somewhat open minded for her religious beliefs and yet, still probably prays for me, doesn't allow me or her husband, who became ordained an evangelical minister after retiring from business to talk religion. Usually she tells her husband to shut-up I've heard it all before, it is family time.

Really depends on the person I am debating. I once encountered a very honest and bright theist at the YMCA (my gym/(theist hunting) ground). He was actually a great deal of fun to talk to. We asked each other a series of questions and answers and we actually agreed with more points then we disagreed. He was exceptionally well read and informed on the history of religion and open to open and honest debate. I positively recognized every one of his valid points and recognized "Thank you. I did not know that. I will research (insert topic here) data." and " I was not aware of (insert topic). Thank you I'll research this." Then introduce a counter-argument with, "But what about - - -" . As he was bright and honest, his response was very much like my response (I am not saying I am bright and honest but in this context, he mirrored my level of respect and our topics were beyond what most people would talk about (A person waked by and after a few moments listening to our discussion noted, "That's to deep for me) He often expounded on his point or (when appropriate) recognize his point had less merit then my counter-argument. We both gave each other time to respond. We began the talk around 22:00, the Y closes at 23:00 so we chatted in the parking lot till after 01:30 and left on good terms and both enjoyed the conversation. Sadly, of the many dozens of theist I have encountered there, as a theist, this guy was an anomaly. For the rest of the theists I debate, depends on what outcome I desire. Some (those that assert nonsense without understanding how pathetic they were) I am not nice, I will smile and point out in detail how their assertions are "Nonsensical" then dissect their assertion and choke them with their own stupidity. The lower the IQ the person presents, the less civil I am. On one account a not so sharp theist (science/climate change denier) replied. He sounded like the guy from "OFFICE SPACE saying "I I Believe you have my stapler"" - - "I do not like what you are telling me." While smiling, my response was, "I really do not care if you like what I am telling you. What you are saying is nonsense and does not represent reality. I am using facts to show you how wrong you are." - - -

Start by being polite to believers and non-believers alike. Don't seek to challenge the convictions of others in this regard, but remain firm in your convictions. Don't rise when baited by the religious because doing so will always provide fodder for their misconceptions of all atheists/agnostics as angry and tada! - you've just become Malfoy in every Harry Potter story

I get along with just about all religious people. I try to treat everyone with love and compassion. I figured I'd we try to treat everyone like human beings. There are some butt holes out there, I love those people too, lol. Sometimes it's just best to agree to disagree and walk away. No reason to lose your peace, on account of some close minded person ☺

Humor

No. There's no point in trying not to be offensive.

I never bring it up, but if asked I will say "you don't want my opinion, I'm an atheist"
Usually however that is blood in the water and the blood wine sharks start circling, questions fly and I answer them.
Invariably it is the theist who gets angry first, and accuses me of being disrespectful, then of being a bigot and then tells me I'll know the truth when I am screaming for mercy while burning in hell.

If the mood takes me I will then say something to the effect that I wouldn't care to worship someone who would do that to me under any circumstances and I can only conclude they do so out of fear not love, and then leave.

There's lots of times when I just save my breath. Not worth it a lot of the times.

True

I'm an atheist but not an anti-theist. Some people on here have been hurt by theism and are emotional when discussing it due to that. Personally I have not been hurt so I simply disagree. I don't offend anyone until they get deep into a discussion and want to know my opinion on their belief. Then we call Houston.

A polite atheist is one that isn't speaking up.

I am courteous and polite. Being atheist has nothing to do with that. However, if religion is brought up, I simply say that I am an Atheist and I do not discuss religion. If that is not good enough, I end the conversation.

Why broach the subject at all? People have the right to believe as they like, whether or not you approve.

I avoid religious people who preach at me, and ignore anything to do with the subject.

Why by rude to people? Plenty of those on this forum already, but I block them.

By the way, this website has a bit of a learning curve, so here's some info, in case you need it.

For members who are open to dating, certain thumbnails and profiles have a heart symbol on them with a percentage. This identifies which members are open to dating, and the percent shows approximately how compatible others are with them.

You gain website points by answering all the profile questions and writing a bio, which also earns website points, and helps other members get to know you.

Commenting on posts and writing your own posts earns more points. At level two you can private message people, and at level eight you get an agnostic T-shirt.

If you want to date, the website uses profile algorithms to find member matches, so the more details one includes, the better the match.

Many people prefer to see a written profile talking about interests, hobbies, and backgrounds that can be quickly perused to find others with similar interests..

In case you didn't know yet, to find members near you, click on the "Browse" button at the top of the page, then on "Members," and enter your preferred search parameters.
Click on the "Discuss" button, then "Nearby" to find members near you also.
Or click on the "About" button at the top left of the page to find links to FAQ or the website tutorial.
Points are now being given to level 3+ members who chat. You can see chat rooms on the group main page or at [agnostic.com].

Personally, I don't have much interest in being polite. The Bible is an evil book and I treat it as such.

Very much agree, but I will not be the one to bring up the subject.

Whenever a conversation starts to feel like Team God vs Team Athiest I work to find common ground in topics that are not about the ultimate reality of existence.

Try talking to other atheist, agnostic, free thinkers and avoid the others where possible. I don't visit mental institutions seeking conversational partners so why converse with the believers unless absolutely necessary? They have a history of persecuting those of us who can think and refuse to buy into their madness.

I usually don't broach it. I only respond when I see someone preaching lies. If they are willing to listen, we can have a conversation. If they are, as is so often the case, reptiles who don't only worship lies but the act of lying itself, I'll do my best to shut them down or show how dishonest they are to anyone who might be listening.

To be polite to the first, listen patiently and respectfully. If you must be polite to the second, keep your mouth shut. It's the only way s/he won't be offended.

Why would one bother to object to another’s philosophy unless they were proselytising. If a group believe in fairies or ‘Greys’ how does it affect an agonostic or atheist unless they felt threatened. A polite atheist is no different to a polite Christian in essence.

I bite my tongue a lot. I don't get how seemingly perfectly intelligent people are believers.

I think it’s totally fair to discuss atheism on Sunday, since that seems to be the day reserved for the ceremonies of belief.

Very carefully, or not at all

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:172246
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.