Agnostic.com

354 20

For atheists - what makes you believe no deity exists?

I became an agnostic because, from my perspective, there isn't enough evidence to prove whether there is a God or Higher Powers or not. I think atheism is based more on belief rather then empirical evidence and science, though much evidence would concur that there isn't a God.

Alright, shoot. 🙂

RYSR10 6 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

354 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Uhm...the lack of existence of any deities.

The same reason I don't believe in vampires or werewolves....there is no evidence that supports the claim. I also do not believe in magic due to the same reason. It's not what makes us believe that no god exists its what makes people think there is. The burden of evidence lies with the people making the claim. Much like if i said I could fly w/o any kind of assistance, then ask why you don't believe me and that you couldn't prove that i could not. Also the "agnostic" or "atheist" is beyond foulable. You are Heather an agnostic atheist or Gnostic atheist, or agnostic theist or agnostic theist. Agnostic meaning not to know for certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, Gnostic meaning to know beyond a shadow of a doubt. I cannot prove a negative, I can be fairly certain of its lack of existence from the lack of evidence, yet cannot be 100% sure. Much of the same can be said about the theists side, not one can prove their god(s) exist, so therefore all are agnostic.

One would have to define god 1st.
It seems clear that "god" is a label used by people to explain real events that are beyond their understanding.
They then make up characteristics to personalise the god label.
They then mistake their made up characteristics as knowledge.
And a superstition is born.

There is no proof that a god exists. Until you can show me irrefutable scientific evidence, not conjecture, I will not believe. The better question should be why would anyone believe there is a god? If you were a juror in a court of law you would require more evidence to convict someone than the so called "evidence" that theists present.

It's more about there isn't anything that naturally compels me to think there is a god, from a rational standpoint. People get caught up with saying, "Oh well, you can't prove there isn't a god, therefore one might exist." That argument is irrelevant in that since it's impossible to prove there is a god, I don't have to go out of my way to prove there isn't one. The burden of proof is upon the believer since the idea of a god is something you came up with on your own. Instead of coming up with reasons why there isn't or can't be one, I don't have to waste my time on that because at the end of the day if you are making the claim that there is a god I don't have to do anything on my part to disprove that because there is no way you will ever be able to present any evidence that there is one. Simple. Believing in god isn't a natural or organic revelation that just spontaneously occurs among people, it is taught, handed down, from early childhood before the individual even has a chance to construct their own logical, rational conclusions.

I can't prove there are thirty-foot tall mice either

There is simply only one answer to this. Because no proof has been provided. Once proof is provided, we atheist's will gladly subscribe to that truth.

I go with the atheist “term”. For me an appalling lack of evidence, especially if drawn from the worlds “sacred” writings, leaves me feeling itchy. However, if evidence were to arise (I have no idea what that would look like!), if any of the biblical miracle tales were proven true (probablistically they are as much as not), reconsideration of my position would commence.

Simple. Lack of evidence. Period. It's not complicated.

Not a valid question - poorly worded attempt at a question.

SImple, there is no evidence of a god whatsoever.

I am star stuff, and I have a limited time here. I try to enjoy this short time here and when it is over, I hope my ashes will grow a tree or become one which with I came from.

my basic reply when asked about god is.. i gave up on imaginary friends when i was 3. don't know why but this tends to upset the god botherers .
Also this world is a mess, do you really think a god would give us the power to wipe ourselves out.. and more to the point who is gods god?

Let's see...how many gods and godesses have had their names spoken on this small planet? And you think we atheists go around the world empirically testing whether or not a particular culture's god/godess exists? How about we just don't have Believer Brains (gotta be genetic), and we just don't give a rat's ass?

First of all it doesn't have any plausible evidence. Second it seems according to Stephen Hawking and me that God would be unnecessary because gravity exists and doesn't appear to violate general relativity. Logic and common sense supports non belief.

can't find a reason to be a theist. I believe human brain is itself designed to reason everything it confronts, something odd happens beyond human comprehension, brain itself try to reason and the easiest is god. The first time the idea of God came when primal men saw a comet , they were baffled and perplexed coz they hadn't seen such a thing even though their life was almost based on stars and its movements. Following the comet there came drought , which some thought was the curse of God for something they did. Hence started all sorts of rituals and slaughtering sacrifices to please something that never existed.
Man is no special, he is an animal driven by circumstances as a slave of time..!

There have been historical records of in excess of 3000 gods during recorded history, most of which have faded into the annals of history, Why should the ones currently being believed in be any different? So, if they will eventually disappear from consciousness then why believe in them.

Atheism covers broad ground, because (as others have pointed out) it's a lack of belief in a God or gods but that also covers those who actively disbelieve in a God or gods. I consider myself an agnostic atheist when it comes to general claims of God/gods, and a strong atheist when it comes to many specific claims. For instance, if you study the Canaanite and Sumerian religions you'll see their direct influence on ancient Hebrew religion and the transition from the regional pantheon to tribal monotheism, narrowing the field down to Yahweh (though reading through the Old Testament, if you have a good translation that doesn't errantly conflate names, you'll see references to El and Elohim, among other god names). So, with respect to Yahweh (and, by linear association, Jesus/Yeshua), I'm a strong atheist. It isn't limited to Yahweh/Allah, though, because virtually any hard claim about God/gods in terms of characteristics generally has logical inconsistencies (e.g., "God is all-loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful" is self-contradictory when trying to factor in evil in the world). Nebulous or ill-defined concepts of God or gods on the other hand,, e.g., "God is love" or "God is the universal energy that connects all living things," are just sort of meaningless tropes and platitudes and are nothing I consider worth thinking about one way or another.

I believe in a universal force. It cannot be seen or touched, but it is felt by everyone and has governed the lives of every creature that has ever lived on the Earth.

And I can demonstrate it.

(Exercise). Find a small, lightweight not-fragile object. A pencil or a paperclip will do.

Hold it a few inches above a solid surface, say, the nearest tabletop.

Now let it go. (EndEx).

Gravity.

I know, I know, it's just a theory. But there are very few agnostics when it comes to Gravity, and no-one steps off high buildings for fun.

It affects everyone in just the same way, even astronauts in free fall in orbit - they are basically continuously falling towards the Earth, but missing it - or on other bodies such as the Moon and Mars (same maths, but less Mass).

If there really was a universal creator He / She / They / It would be every bit as eternal, pervasive and undeniable as Gravity.

Atheism would be as impossible as levitation, or at the very least every bit as difficult.

The major religions all started at a particular place at a particular time, and usually with a particular individual. Cults like that spring up all the time. Most of them wither and die off once their founder leaves the stage... but a few snowball, through historical accident and opportunity.

Those religions spread across the world is governed by war, conquest, migration and colonisation, trade and missionary activity. Physical, human stuff, not on the wings of angels or whatever.

Basically, Men create Gods in their own image. Religion fills a need in the Human psyche, but that says more about us as thinking mortal apes than it does about external reality.

It is beyond apparent that the universe is indifferent (e.g. natural disasters, famines, genocides, etc). Furthermore, the notion of a personal god, that interacts with people, loves them as a parent does their children, has plans for their lives, "lives in their hearts" etc. is absolutely absurd. Evangelical christians are blinded by their own emotional keyboards which they themselves play in wanting to believe they are encountering the supernatural. The fact is it is nothing more than their mind, will, and emotions controlling the psychological marionette of what they delude themselves into believing is their spiritual life. By this they bend themselves in the direction of indoctrination and thus waste their lives on insanity...

Im as comfortable with it as any other word description.

Nothing to see.....

Lack of evidence.

"there isn't enough evidence".?. there is no evidence. I find it interesting that when this question is asked it always refers to the Jewish god Yaweh, never to the Roman gods or the Greek gods. Of course that would be silly wouldn't it. Of course we know they don't exist.
Questions like this show that earlier indoctrination has residual effects.

I think the question is completely upside down. I think that you have presented a premise, and want somebody to argue against it. That is not how it works. Let's say for instance that you grew up never having heard about a god or religion, and then somebody asks you why you don't believe in one. What are you to say? I'd happily believe in a diety, if you were to present any form of evidence for one.

This is an excellent question. People who are dogmatic about saying there is No God are no different than a dogmatic fundamentalist Christian in my book. A good place to start a scientific search on what is really going on in this area is to take a look at a retired Australian lawyer named Victor Zammit who has written a book entitled "A Lawyer looks at Afterlife Evidence that is Admissable in a Courtroom." He has done a great job regarding this subject and I keep a copy of his book in my home to loan to folks who indicate an interest in looking further. Highly recommended.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:254
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.