Agnostic.com

7 0

I want people's opinion. Should the non-religious community hold community service events in the name of non-religious communities?

Mellowfellow 3 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

do it in the name of the community

The Amazing Atheist, from youtube has raised money and gotten a lot of help for disaster victims. We could do the same thing when this site gets big enough to have enough people in one spot to get a crowd together

One of the few things religion is actually good for (sort of, sometimes) is community and refuge.

In order to build a viable sense of community you need a shared experience or belief. In my view, atheism is far too narrow to support that.

Also atheists tend not to be joiners, working with them is like herding cats. Plus, for obvious reasons, most of them are suspicious of being herded. There's a reason there are millions of atheists in the US, but only about 20,000 belong to American Atheists.

Alain de Botton and his "Atheism 2.0" concept is an effort in the direction of trying to learn something from religion but for the reasons mentioned above I am not optimistic anything much will come of it.

I think there are nonreligious service groups already. However I think most nonreligious persons who do service do so individually, because our interests vary so greatly.

Of course.

Why not? If something benefits the community, why wouldn't the non-religious want to do that?
No point in letting the religious have all the fun.

I don't follow?? What sort of thing are you thinking? An example might be... say... a Chocolate Communion?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26050
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.