Agnostic.com

51 14

Have you been ostracized because of your lack of belief?

I haven't spoken to my oldest son in over 2 years now. He embraced Judaism, but told me that I was a bad influence because I don't believe. Just curious if anyone else has similar stories.

Honir 4 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not ostracized, but distanced from some people...

To be ostracized or rejected from any group identifying itself in terms of static sets of 'positions' is reassuring to any individual. By individual, I mean a person in possession and control of their native reasoning faculties who refuses to compromise or abdicate them in any way in exchange for mere membership or 'identity'. They are always traps, led and directed by scoundrels.

@Honir Example is the best teacher also because it inspires curiosity when the example doesn't match-up with the lore.

I hope so!

Varn Level 8 Sep 18, 2020

If I was I did not notice and why would I even care if a hyper person religious shunned me?
NOW if I was discriminated against for housing, job, health care that's a different story and not the current topic per se.

No, I’m considered an oddity. However, many friends let me know they were also atheists or just secular.

Fortunately, no. I've had a couple of people who were/are curious about my lack of belief, but more from a Really? perspective. They don't bother me about it, and I think my non-belief actually got them to think a bit.

If I lived in a more religious, small town setting I suspect it would be different.

Okay, expanding my "no" monosyllabic comment below, just because I love oysters, so I don't mind being "ostracized" at all. All kidding aside, I have a daughter from my first marriage, she loves me and respects me, I am so proud of her because she's extremely smart. If I had a child who would disrespect me by saying something so messed up like your son did, I would have just reminded him/her that bad influences do not come from beliefs, but when people who believe in whatever they want to believe, use these to demean, belittle and criticize others, and that was exactly what your son did, so who is the bad influence then? Most religious people are hypocrites, it does not matter which religion. They never do as they preach, hence the hypocrisy. As a "Jew," your son is supposed to "set an example of right behavior to the world." Main tenet of Judaism. Everything they do is based on the Ten Commandments, which they call the Ten Sayings. Ask him what the fuck happened to the fifth saying "Honor thy father and mother"?

Not as far as I know. My activities tend to be pretty secular--contra dance, playing bass in bands. Religion rarely comes up and I don't take the initiative to begin discussions about it. When it does come up, the other person is as likely to be another skeptic as not..

No, but I do not move in such dimwitted circles.

I lost my twin sister to cancer 2 years ago and she had no belief in God. How can Christians expect me to have faith but biblically deny me seeing her in "heaven" It is superstition. For years I have been living a lie to have Christian friends but I am not afraid anymore. If people ostracize me it only makes me more determined to study Richard Dawkins, Michael Shermer and other authors.

Ridge Level 1 Sep 18, 2020

Hopefully you’ll make new and better friends, best wishes with the changes.

No, never. I am open about my atheism but do not proselytize.

It’s a shame you can’t talk to your son because of something like this. If he had done something to physically or mentally harm you, or if he stole money or something really important or valuable to you, you would be justified. We are who we are, believe what we believe in. Among my relatives, friends there are boundaries. We know how to live with differences and remember the many other things in common between us and what makes us close to each other in the first place.

No, my family are either atheists or "tolerate" atheism. Curiously, I have been ostracized for my vehement opposition to the propagation of Islam. Go figure.

Regarding opposing the propagation of Islam: The best thing I did was to actually read the Koran and let people know I was reading it. Then I was more “allowed” to speak about/against it.

@Mvtt yes, the Koran is pretty interesting. I had no idea it had some of the same stories as the bible, until I read some. Unfortunately it’s just as open to cherry picking.

No, I tend to keep to myself about my lack of belief in the supernatural.

Sort of; depends on your definition of ostracism. I was raised in a super exclusive fundamentalist Christian group. On two separate occasions I confided with two close girlfriends that I was “struggling with doubts about God‘s existence” (the truth was I was a full-on atheist but I wanted to test the waters with them). Both friends ghosted out of the friendship immediately; but they continued to be nice to my face when we saw each other, so it wasn’t full-on ostracism. Then shortly thereafter I started noticing our other mutual friends (even my husbands friends) ghost us as well, so it’s clear that the word was spreading. Their treatment of us was night-and-day...and the change was so sudden. We basically lost our entire social circle because I made a couple confidential comments about my “doubts” to my close friends. My poor husband was totally innocent but he still got punished for it.

After being burned like that I’ve never given anyone else the opportunity. I faded out of the religion, then my husband followed me out (to my shock)...and very recently he became an atheist too! (Also to my shock). We no longer associate with the type of people that would shun us for our Atheism.

Shunning is very normalized in our old religion. And we really don’t want to lose our family. So for now we’re staying in-the-closet with them. Maybe one day we’ll come out, but we’re in no rush. We’re just so tired of being hurt.

kdmom Level 6 Sep 19, 2020

Only by my parents and they are both dead now.

No

Never.

Not really

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 18, 2020

@bobwjr Yes religion is Fantasy!

@Mcflewster One son is a atheist the other doesn't care

If i was I wouldn't give two shits. I don't get hung up on such things. If they can't support it I don't need them anyway.

If you are bother by others to the point of fear and hate they have won!!!

Yea you don’t argue with idiots in public........Spectators don’t know the difference.

I can hear relatives whispering and complaining behind my back on those odd rare occasions when I've visited. This was typically followed by lot's of Jesus talk and assurances of nasty kind of condescending love that would defile me if I settled for it.
I'd say it's a mutual avoidance.
I live in the fire zone, they live in the flood zone.
Any closer and volcano's might start going off.
A sleep over would create a black hole because it would be too unreal for this universe to accept.

I can't stand them but I still worry about them, especially with all the flooding in their area.

Sorry this happened to you! But--surely his faith is stronger than your ''bad influence?" Hmmmm?

No.

From india. All the time. My father , my brother in law

Everyone really

They fail to excerices logic in this god stuff and all

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.