Agnostic.com

4 8

Such concern for our grandchildren, stated well here:

tinkercreek 8 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ohferpetesake, what do you think Tiktok is 90% filled with? Creative funny stuff, duuuuhhh....

That, IMO, is more than your fair share of pessimism.

I couldn't agree more with @Willow_Wisp and @Gwendolyn2018, and will only add that for every child that boredom has inspired creativity, there are at least two others whom it led down the path to destructive activities such as torturing humans and other living things. Boredom has been vastly over-rated as a productive tool of creativity.

My daughter is an accomplished digital artist so I know firsthand that if someone is going to evolve creatively, they will do it with whatever is at hand, and that includes computers, so I think this isn't something we need to worry about.

@Gwendolyn2018 I found that as well with my girls (we're all nerds). One night we went to dinner at a place with paper tablecloths, and they proceeded to draw and create a detailed world and storyline from their RPG on it for more than two hours. It was impressive.

When my ADHD nephew was about 9, his interest in Minecraft started and it had an amazing impact on him. Not only did he focus for long periods of time, but the intricate plans were good for his ability to focus.

@Gwendolyn2018 I didn't realize some had been classified as literature, but that makes me very happy!

@Lauren It was impressive, or you were impressed? (quibble)

@yvilletom It was impressive, and I was impressed. 🙃

@Lauren “It was impressive” is ok when you want power.

@yvilletom Duly noted. 😊

None of that's true, we have children doing art, writing, cooking, athletics, and making music, while owning cell phones.
Still there's a danger, old people with strong opinions looking for validation for their preposterous opinions on social media, isolating more and more from other people that don't agree until they radicalize so much they ostracize their own children.
Social media doesn't drive kids from families, biased old assholes unwilling to relate to even their own relatives are what's destroying our society, as always.
Back before computers old people would get bent out of shape about the declining morals of the youth.

4th Century B.C.E.
Young people are high-minded because they have not yet been humbled by life, nor have they experienced the force of circumstances.
They think they know everything, and are always quite sure about it.
Rhetoric, Aristotle

1st Century B.C.E.
The beardless youth… does not foresee what is useful, squandering his money.
Horace

1st Century B.C.E.
Our sires’ age was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.
Book III of Odes, Horace
circa 20 BC

1300's
Modern fashions seem to keep on growing more and more debased … The ordinary spoken language has also steadily coarsened. People used to say ‘raise the carriage shafts’ or ‘trim the lamp wick,’ but people today say ‘raise it’ or ‘trim it.’ When they should say, ‘Let the men of the palace staff stand forth!’ they say, ‘Torches! Let’s have some light!’
Tsurezuregusa (Essays in Idleness), Yoshida Kenkō
1330 – 1332

1600’s
Youth were never more sawcie, yea never more savagely saucie . . . the ancient are scorned, the honourable are contemned, the magistrate is not dreaded.
The Wise-Man’s Forecast against the Evill Time, Thomas Barnes

1700’s
Whither are the manly vigour and athletic appearance of our forefathers flown? Can these be their legitimate heirs? Surely, no; a race of effeminate, self-admiring, emaciated fribbles can never have descended in a direct line from the heroes of Potiers and Agincourt…
Letter in Town and Country magazine republished in Paris Fashion: A Cultural History

1790's
The free access which many young people have to romances, novels, and plays has poisoned the mind and corrupted the morals of many a promising youth…
Memoirs of the Bloomsgrove Family, Reverend Enos Hitchcock

1800's
…a fearful multitude of untutored savages… boys with dogs at their heels and other evidence of dissolute habits… girls who drive coal-carts, ride astride upon horses, drink, swear, fight, smoke, whistle, and care for nobody… the morals of children are tenfold worse than formerly.
Anthony Ashley Cooper, the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, Speech to the House of Commons
February 28, 1843

1850's
“… see the simpering little beau of ten gallanting home the little coquette of eight, each so full of self-conceit and admiration of their own dear self, as to have but little to spare for any one else…
“Children And Children’s Parties”, published in The Mothers’ Journal and Family Visitant, S.B.S.

A pernicious excitement to learn and play chess has spread all over the country, and numerous clubs for practicing this game have been formed in cities and villages… chess is a mere amusement of a very inferior character, which robs the mind of valuable time that might be devoted to nobler acquirements … they require out-door exercises–not this sort of mental gladiatorship.
Scientific American
July, 1858

1900 – 1920
Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline…
The Psychology of Adolescence, Granville Stanley Hall

So you're following a 2500 year old tradition of disrespect for the current generation typically associated with boomers these days.
I didn't even try hard to find these examples, and then I only grabbed a sampling of each document.
For example the document Rhetoric, by Aristotle that I only copied a couple of sentences from is available here in a 183 page PDF where he said a great many terrible things about the youth of his time.
[bocc.ubi.pt]
Feel free to read it.

It's not the kids that want to destroy democracy and embrace fascism, and I count myself lucky to still consider myself more spiritually attuned with future generations then I do the ancient generations.

I know for a fact that I could not have said it better, so thank you.

@Lauren I should warn you this history isn't very interesting compared to the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom being booed out of office by his own party.
So there's a natural erosion over time of public knowledge on any given subject that happens anyway due to lack of interest.
If public perception is successfully diverted so all their attention is focused on enforcing the cultural norms and assumptions of their group self identities then those could be used for motivational purposes by encouraging the public to see it a certain way.
All this leads to social change that strains a government's ability to maintain social stability because the organs of government are specifically designed to address specific issues.
You don't send only the police to a business on fire, you also send the fire department and paramedics.
So why are we sending only the police into domestic situations involving emotionally or mentally impaired people? Sorry, I have questions like that, like Why don't we ban assault riffles?
Some people think they serve the public good by targeting a part of our social infrastructure and we wonder why those targets are destroyed, like ACORN was destroyed. I wouldn't be shocked if you forgot about it and just let the white washing of history happen. If you're so inclined here is a link to an article about it
[en.wikipedia.org]

We have trends that could lead to the collapse of civilization, it has happened many times before throughout history. We think we're immune because we use smart phones. While they used things like the Antikythera device that took us from 1902 till 2006 to figure out, that's 104 years. They may have had hundreds of clever clockwork devices for a wide variety of purposes, an entire technology.
They created trigonometry and figured out the circumference of the Earth 570 years before the Roman's destroyed Masada. They were in the ballpark with their estimations with the distance to the sun and moon. Those clever apes figured out that when the moon is perfectly halved it is at a 90 degree angle between Earth moon and sun, so compute the hypotenuse and you have the distance to the sun.
Our culture is being attacked by Christian Nationalism that causes people to come to irrational conclusions based on their perceptions being intentionally manipulated by big brother Tucker.
I have gone on a bit I suppose but realizing that conservatism is the path that always leads to depression war and social unrest. but their path has become their destination, they are calling for an inquisition. Who can blame them when family members are dying of neglect in a rural part of the country but you live on the opposite coast. Now you have a mission to get back at, give me a target Tucker!, who's to blame for this? and no one knows who he'll blame. He'd love to blame Jews, but settles for blaming on marijuana, or a gender modification in a line of children's toys or entertainment media. They use it as a surrogate for LGBTQ+ but with a bit of extra disgust for trans-women.
Anyway see through the preposterous delusion conservatives create, refuse cultural identities from MAGA, to Clan, to Disney fan especially the ones based on religion.
See each problem for the hard limited, non-political actuality that it is.
Determining the blame comes after detecting the problem.
If you understood everything I intended to say here and agree then you're "woke" hence the warning I started with. It can be dangerous to know the truth, it makes you speech truth to power at socially awkward moments and those can be hazardous for your health, as so many of the "woke" before us knew first hand.
So be careful out there.

To Lauren, Gwendolyn2018, Willow_Wisp, all the great commentaries on the values in tech: I agree they are useful tools, for a multitude of communications, often helping teens and young adults in forming a profession. My concern is in them being used as electronic 'babysitters" for young children, building a need for constant entertainment with no effort or involvement, and replacing time that could be spent forging personal skills and interests. I love that we can all see different sides of that posting!

@Willow_Wisp Oh, truly I only understand half of what you've said and doubtless need to check out the other half. I first realized I was woke when I started ready Taylor Caldwell books around 10, which started an overwhelmingly depressing awareness beyond the simple unrest of the time I was living in, and I've only become more saturated and trapped in the abyss as I've aged. Escapism and gratitude for some simple little things are all that keep me here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.