Agnostic.com

4 9

Today is talk like a pirate day. So, aaarrrggghhh me bilge sucking maties, wishing you a cat-a-nine-tails and other booty as ye like it in your treasure chest kind of day. Thus, while singing your chanties, stay clear of the brig and be very wary if ye get involved with a Crack Jenny's Teacup.

Beowulfsfriend 9 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The special pronunciation and stereotypical expressions emerged with the pirate movies starring Robert Newton who has become the “patron saint” of the annual International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Newton first used the accent while playing his most remembered role, the one of Long John Silver in the 1950 adaptation of Treasure Island. The accent was immediately praised by audiences, so Newton continued to use it in his later pirate movies, including Blackbeard the Pirate and the popular series The Adventures of John Silver. Since then popular culture cannot imagine pirates speaking any other way.

The accent Newton used was, in fact, an exaggerated version of his native accent. He was raised in Dorset, not far from Bristol, so he was familiar with the English West Country farmer’s accent. He thought his version of this accent would bring additional flair to the already popular pirate flicks, and he employed it with great success.

Arrrr, thar be many a sirens and lilly livered land lubbers cast a drift on the mar! May they be blessed with barnacles in their garters and willy's! May ye others parlay in sunsets on calm seas with ye sails full of wind! May your coin purses over floweth and you booty be bountiful!

My boat is called "Freebooter" Argh argh

puff Level 8 Sep 19, 2022

Arrrrrgh, prior to retiring everyone in the department where I worked only spoke "pirate" on speak like a pirate day. We also tried to construct Emails similarly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687390
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.