Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK Drepung Monastery - The Largest Monastery in Tibet

Tibet is a place with strong religious atmosphere. Coming to Lhasa, in addition to the Potala Palace, there are several temples that must be visited, such as Sera Monastery and Drepung Monastery.
Speaking of the name of Drepung Monastery, it has something to do with the appearance of the temple. Together with Ganden Monastery and Sera Monastery, it is called the three major monasteries in Lhasa. Located at the foot of Gengpi Wuzi Mountain in the western suburbs of Lhasa, the entire monastery is large in scale and the white buildings covering the hillside, looking like a huge pile of rice from a distance, hence the name Drepung. Only when standing tall and looking into the distance can you truly understand the meaning of this name.The more you go up, the wider your field of vision.
Drepung Monastery is very lively every year, the most solemn is the Shoton Festiva.The first day of the Shoton Festival is called the "Drepung Shoton Festival". The main activity is to enjoy the grandest Buddha unfolding ceremony. On this day, people would gather at Drepung Monastery to look up to the merciful Buddha, and to feel the purification of the soul and the freedom of belief.

koko 1 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Welcome.

Oddly, I have always had a fascination for significant religious buildings, cathedrals and such.

Odd place to post this comment.๐Ÿค” I agree with many aspects of Buddhism. Still looking for enlightenment and that state of inner peace. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Somehow, m'dear, I imagine your life's become much more peaceful lately. ๐Ÿ™‚

@pamagain Oh, yes it has! ๐Ÿ˜˜ Just hoping she will repay the money she owes me. Time will tell....

An interesting post for an Agnostic site. But then Buddism isnโ€™t a religion, itโ€™s a way of life isnโ€™t it? Are you Buddhist @koko?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:749998
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.