Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Harris says Trump 'demeans the office' of president -- Politico

She told Al Sharpton she is building on the dignified legacy of Shirley Chisholm.

Greta Reich
10/20/2024, 6:24pm ET

Fifty years from now, Kamala Harris wants to be remembered similarly to Shirley Chisholm, the first Black woman elected to Congress, as someone who fought for “the dignity of people,” she told MSNBC host Al Sharpton on Sunday.

To that end, she thinks the American people deserve someone who will do that — in other words, someone who is better than Donald Trump.

“The president of the United States must set a standard, not only for our nation but understanding the standard that we as a nation must set for the world,” Harris said in an interview with “Politics Nation.” “And what you see in my opponent — a former president of the United States — really it demeans the office.”

The answer was in response to a question about Trump referring to Harris as “a shit vice president” at a rally in Pennsylvania over the weekend.

“Donald Trump should never again stand behind the seal of the president of the United States,” Harris continued. “He has not earned the right. He has not earned the right. And that's why he's going to lose.”

Sharpton noted that Harris is not polling as well with Black male voters, comparing her situation to that of Chisholm’s. The host, who worked as youth director for Chisholm’s campaign for president in 1972, recalled the backlash the New York Democrat suffered from Black male elected officials.

“I have an emotional reaction to you raising the point of Shirley Chisholm because it is on her broad shoulders that I stand, and so many of us stand. And we have come a long way to your point,” Harris said.

She added that she would never assume Black males owe her their votes.

“I am very clear: I must earn the vote of everyone regardless of their race or gender. And what can be frustrating sometimes is to have journalists ask me this question as though one should assume that I would just be able to take for granted the vote of Black men. I think that's actually an uninformed perspective because why would Black men be any different than any other demographic of voter?” Harris said.

On that note, she emphasized her campaign stops in various corners of battleground states, trying to appeal to every possible voter “so they can judge for themselves in a way that is unfiltered.”

On the day of the interview, she had just come from two stops in Atlanta churches, one of which included a surprise performance of “Happy Birthday” from Stevie Wonder.

“I am leaving nothing on the field in this election, leaving nothing on the field,” she said.

snytiger6 9 Oct 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He demeans the air he breathes!

Almost the entire time while Trump was president the rest of the world was laughing at the U.S. ...

That was my take on it too and I can watch news from anywhere right in my own home.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:770635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.