Agnostic.com

5 4

Why is this not culture-dependent?

[nautil.us]

skado 9 Sep 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd say cultural beliefs would play a considerable role in all that, although even the non-religious are susceptible to grandiose and persecutory delusions.

Because in a hospital there are huge bright overhead lights that might help save your life? And you all have noticed that a really focused bright light Will show up through even shut eyes.
I do not believe this was much of a phenomenon in the days of lanterns & candles........

Why would they be ? We all have the same brains. Silly question.

I was thinking the same thing. What is he getting at here? Seems to me the author is playing it fast and loose with the term 'universal'. I mean, what percent of people globally are delusionally psychotic, and then only 18% of them had religious themed delusions? That's universal?

Furthermore, the categories are pretty broad. To me that's like saying I asked people from all over the world to pick a letter. 18% of people picked a letter A-E, 21% picked a letter F-J, 23% picked a letter K-O, 16% picked a letter P-T, and 20% picked a letter U-Y. I wonder why these groups of letters were picked so universally with no appreciable cultural differences.

I suppose that's why they didn't even posit a conclusion? More of a Fox News style plant a seed and walk away for plausible deniability. "What? Me? I didn't say that the logical conclusion is that God must exist. I'm just asking questions."

@ChestRockfield Exactly

@skado's paraphrasing, "Why is this not culture-specific"?

Why should a broadly-based categorisation of psychotic aberrancy be culture-specific?

I'm seeing no argument that it isn't.

Bad choice of words on my part. Culture-specific is probably a better term.
The sub-title says it best:
“These bizarre beliefs are strikingly prevalent across a diversity of cultures. Why?”.

@skado ah.

@skado ''strikingly prevalent'' ???????
i died, twice, and saw no such thing either time.
You only have hearsay.

@AnneWimsey
It wasn’t about that. But that’s ok.
Glad you survived.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:729752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.