Agnostic.com
4 7

My nephew's cat, Iris, has tuxedo coloring, but her fur length and texture is like that of a Persian. Anyway, she has developed matted bunches of fur along the spine on her lower back. The cat groomer has a two month waiting list. She does not like to be held or picked up. We are just concerned that the matting may develop into something more serious while we wait to get in with the cat groomer. We are on a waiting list in case something opens. Jared, the cat groomer, has a five star rating from every customer who left a review, and there are hundreds.

There is another pet groomer in our area, but they do mostly dogs. Iris was very uptight and they just couldn't handle her, even though we explained her temperment in detail, and they assured us it would be "no problem". It was a HUGE problem. They thought they could just use electric clippers, but as soon as they turned them on the claws came out with a vengeance. They quickly gave up. At least they didn't charge us.

Jared, the cat groomer, only does cats. We hope he can handle her. Our appointment isn't until October.

In the meantime, any suggestions?

We have tried using scissors, but she doesn't like her matted fur clumps being handled.

snytiger6 9 Aug 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Smoke a few joints in an enclosed space with Puss in your arms, should be a doddle!

When I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, nobody brushed my Persian.
She developed fur mattes that actually pulled the skin up into them, therefore the mattes could not be cut out without cutting her.
She had to be put under at the Vet's to take care of it, not cheap.
You are very right to be concerned.
Try using a bit of hair conditioner on the mattes, letting it sit for awhile before trying to tease them loose, and brush this cat Every Day from now on!!!!

We've discussed it and a trip to the vet put her under will be the last resort, if Jared the pet groomer can't manage it.

I did see on YOUtube one guy used coconut pil to soften the matted fur. He said coconut oil wouldn't be toxic for the cat. I would be concerned that hair condition might not be good for cats as they lick their fur for self grooming. Also,in that same video, the guy also did give his cat some kind of natural drug to mellow the cat out beforehand, and he had this special combing tool which had a razor built into it which he used to work through the matted fur and it also cut through excess fur. Iris has more serious mats than the cat in the video

I just went back and looked up the video again ....

@snytiger6 I was in the hospital for a major stroke (chiropractor severed my left vertebral artery, now permanently gone) and a big vet bill after losing my business due to having to learn to read, write, speak and walk again, for Years was not so great to have, however, the alternative was to put the cat down.
And it was Very mellow and would let us cut the mats out, but also taking the big chunks of her skin wrapped up in there was Such a Bad Thing!
The internet is Full of bad advice, the amount of conditioner you would use, and then of course rinse out, would be Max a teaspoon for the entire body. Put a teeny drop on each matte, massage it in, let it sit, then tease out the mattes.
A big plus is, it is designed to rinse easily, unlike other oils.

Poor thing, they must irritate her. Maybe get her a little stoned first so she'll relax? If some catnip doesn't do it, maybe your vet can prescribe a low dose of melatonin or something similar?

Lauren Level 8 Aug 18, 2024

Kei-Ko doesn't like being held or handled either, but when she developed a large clump along her back, I just took the scissors, gently grabbed the clump with a couple of fingers, & kept doing one clip at a time when she came near me, until I got it loosened enough to eventually get it out. THEN after that, she figured out brushing wasn't so bad, & lets me do a bit of that now.

I ended up brushing so much fur out of her, it could have made another dozen cats. Her fur is ''wooly'' & very thick. These pics are her new look.

@Lilac-JadeCanada She's got beautiful coloring! And how patient you are to work with her like that.

@Lauren Thank you. She was 2 years old when I got her, & very unlikely to have ever been brushed. She was also built like a beachball, but I got her slimmed down with a better diet. Now she's very playful, & acts like the kitten I don't think she got to be when she was a kitten. She is also quite the comedienne.

@Lilac-JadeCanada Looks like she still has plenty of fur on her...

@TomMcGiverin Yes, very thick, heavy fur.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 18

Photos 9,280 More

Posted by AppleriverSay cheese!

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness

Posted by AppleriverI think he’s pretending he’s got an ice cream cone.

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Sunday morning cuteness...Mini Panther

Posted by AppleriverDouble the cuteness!

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by AppleriverI’ll just scratch this so it matches the rest of the furniture, k?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyShe’s right!

Posted by AppleriverRawr! I’m king of the jungle!

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by AppleriverSomebody found their toe beans

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

• Top tags#cats #video #god #world #friends #dogs #religion #Friday #hope #religious #animals #reason #kids #Atheist #book #money #humans #sleep #hell #sex #church #loves #DonaldTrump #relationship #mother #community #parents #evidence #atheism #youtube #children #society #Bible #movies #memes #truth #fear #belief #pets #wife #coffee #Jesus #death #faith #beliefs #Song #laws #rescue #books #earth ...

Members 1,562Top